The Quiet Times

Aside from the invitation to training camp extended to Bryan Berard and the fact that 07-08 tickets go on sale this Saturday, Islander hockey news has slowed from from a crawl to a near collapse as of late. It's just that time of the year.
Fans are therefore encouraged to occupy their time in other areas. So as the heat begins to break, I (along with countless other hockey fans) will pursue some of my other passions. My highlight of this past Labor Day weekend was the fishing trip I embarked on with family and friends off Orient Point. We hauled in our limit of stripers east of Plum Island (the same made famous by author Nelson DeMille). This weekend my TV will be tuned to the Jets- Pats opener. In addition to a victory by Gang Green, I'll be hoping Pennington survives game 1 unscathed in the wake of Pete Kendall's departure. I'm similarly looking forward to rounding up a sizable crew for a trip to the Land of Meadows this Fall, likely for a game against the fins or the bills.
The rest of the weekend will be devoted to watching the Shield and perhaps a little Entourage, while hoping some giving soul may be inclined to buy an XBOX 360 for my birthday (Halo 3, anyone?).
I'll indulge in these activities only for a while because after all, opening night is less than a month away.

No comments: